Monday, November 12, 2007

Week 8 #19 Discovering Web 2.0 tools - award nominees

I had a great time discovering many sites on the Award nominees list. I liked Farecast, the travel site. At first it seemed very American but it does cover most parts of the world. I was able to find out air fares and accomodation links for the places I wanted to visit. I would not say that the site provided the cheapest fares especially when it listed a fare of $1776.00 return Auckland to Melbourne for one airline. I think Farecast got confused as it managed to get better fares for other airlines. Some parts of the site, such as Expedia for cruises, are limited to US citizens for bookings. Cars, vacation packages, hotels are all there to be checked out. I would definitely use Farecast only in combination with other sites to be sure I got the best deal. I think Americans win on this one. While the greatest use will be for the home user, reference librarians can take this as a useful introduction for library customers to online travel as they can see the huge potential to save money and plan their own holidays instead of going through a travel agenth which offers a narrower range of products.
I have also checked out Newsvine (interesting), cocktail builder (some great cocktail recipes including the old favourites), Medstory (very American, we have better sites on our library web), Eventful (potentially good, but lacks sufficient information such as exact location and is dated).

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I really liked the cocktail bulder but wished they did the measurements in mls not ounces :)Do you think America will ever go metric? Great work ;)

mumbaichic said...

Awesome blog.

Fruitsalad said...

Nice Blog!! you rock tramper, where next from here?