Monday, November 5, 2007

Week 7 #16 Wikis

Wikis of all kinds are out there, some useful some not, some serious, some full of junk. The challenge is to extract from them the information that you want. The links to Wikis and the reading was useful and I have in the past used Wikis myself. I like the personal comments and additional information in amongst the more serious content. I can see how useful they can be for libraries. Whereas a library controls its website, a library wiki would enable interraction between the customer and the library. As a training tool, Wikis also have great potential as staff can add their own comments and helpful hints. I see that US libraries have made use of this. I was interested by the core IT competencies Wiki and think that is a very good idea for Auckland City Librarie to adopt. A core standard of IT skills is something that we currently lack.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great input! Keep up the good work! :)